MHG59574 - Building, Camus Ghaoideil (Gaoth Dail), Rhu

Summary

Ruined building at Camus Ghaoideil, Rhu

Type and Period (2)

  • BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
  • CHURCH SCHOOL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

What may be a township comprising five unroofed buildings and a field is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet cxxxv). Four unroofed buildings and a field are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974). Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 19 August 1996

Gaoth Dail was surveyed in 2012 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al and descends from 50 m above sea level to the shore for c.350m north to south and a maximum of 150 m east to west. It is surrounded by an extant dry stonewall with several substantial roofless buildings.

Site 15. Large well built ruin with walls c.2 mtrs high. Two doorways facing the sea external measurements c.11 x 4 mtrs. The building was once used as a seminary. <1>

NGR adjusted based on 2012 aerial photographs <2>

1st Edition OS 6" <3>

Sources/Archives (3)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NM 6714 8434 (13m by 14m)
Map sheet NM68SE
Civil Parish ARISAIG AND MOIDART
Geographical Area LOCHABER

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.