MHG59580 - Building, Camus Ghaoideil (Gaoth Dail), Rhu
Ruined building at Camus Ghaoideil, Rhu
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
What may be a township comprising five unroofed buildings and a field is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet cxxxv). Four unroofed buildings and a field are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974). Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 19 August 1996
Gaoth Dail was surveyed in 2012 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al and descends from 50 m above sea level to the shore for c.350m north to south and a maximum of 150 m east to west. It is surrounded by an extant dry stonewall with several substantial roofless buildings.
Site 19. Roughly built tumbled ruin c. 5 x 4 mtrs. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2012 aerial photographs <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Rough Bounds Archaeology. 2016. Walkover Survey - Rhu Peninsula. Rough Bounds Archaeology. Digital. p.12 Site 19.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2012. Getmapping aerial photography 2012. XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6699 8417 (5m by 7m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/118371 (Click to view HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.