MHG59586 - Sheepfold - Achnagart
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- (Alternate Type) FANK (19th Century to 21st Century - 1801 AD to 2100 AD)
- SHEEP FOLD (19th Century to 21st Century - 1801 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
A drystone sheepfank as illustrated on current and earlier (1st and 2nd edition) OS maps is still used by the present farmer. It seems likely that the sheepfank was built for Achnagart Farm during the mid-19th century. It had recently been refurbished, without apparently altering its original character. It is probable that the paving was secondary. Recorded during the NTS pre-afforestation survey of Kintail and West Affric in 1997. <1>
GIS spatial data created 2019 based on OS Master Map. <2>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth. J. & Harden, J.. 1997. Kintail and West Affric Archaeological Survey. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 18/06/2004. Paper and Digital. KIN020.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1905. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 9639 1506 (31m by 35m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/317498/achnagart (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.