MHG59588 - Sheepfold - Achadhinrean
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SHEEP FOLD (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD? to 2000 AD?)
- None recorded
A sheepfold was recorded during the NTS pre-afforestation survey of Kintail and West Affric in 1997. It was depicted on the 1st Edition OS map and was probably built in conjunction with the main field dykes during the 19th century after sheep had been introduced. <1>
GIS spatial data created 2019 based on OS Master Map. <2>
- --- Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- --- Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1905. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth. J. & Harden, J.. 1997. Kintail and West Affric Archaeological Survey. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 18/06/2004. Paper and Digital. KIN033.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 9553 1727 (38m by 32m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/317506/achadhinrean (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.