MHG59608 - Enclosure - Glascory
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- ENCLOSURE (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD? to 2000 AD?)
- None recorded
A large drystone enclosure was recorded during an NTS pre-afforestation survey of Kintail and West Affric in 1997. It lay on the S side of the river Lichd and measured 800m by 150m. The walling was c.0.7m wide and c.1.2m high, well constructed and largely intact, though it had been partially replaced by post and wire fencing. This enclosure was presumably built in the sheep farming days of the early to mid-19th century. <1>
This enclosure is clearly visible on aerial photography, with internal divisions. <2>
This enclosure is depicted in the 1st and 2nd edition OS maps, although it appears to be divided into three fields. It is depicted much the same on current (2019) OS Master mapping. <3> <4> <5>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth. J. & Harden, J.. 1997. Kintail and West Affric Archaeological Survey. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 18/06/2004. Paper and Digital. KIN103.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map).
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1905. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <5> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 9769 2011 (585m by 661m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/317524/glascory (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.