MHG59618 - Milestone - Drochaid Lusa
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- MILESTONE (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
This milestone stands on the NE verge of the A87 public road immediately SW of the junction with the minor road that runs SE to Kylerhea. It is a granite pillar, triangular in section but with a slightly rounded rear, which measures 0.3m across each of the two front faces and 0.42m across the back by 0.6m in height. The upper part of the front of the stone is angled to a narrow flat top.
The 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire - Isle of Skye 1876, Sheet XLI) indicates that the stone stood 7 miles from the Kylerhea Ferry to the SE and 4 miles from Broadford to the W.
Visited by RCAHMS (JRS, IP), 28 May 2012.
GIS spatial data created 2019 based on OS Master Map. <1>
- --- Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 318627.
- --- Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1877. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Skye. Digital.
- --- Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1875-1880. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Skye. Digital.
- --- Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 6 inch map: Skye. Digital.
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 6972 2440 (20m by 20m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/318627/drochaid-lusa (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.