MHG59636 - Possible long cairn or wall, Torr a' Bheithe, Rhu
Possible long cairn or wall at Torr a' Bheithe, Rhu
Type and Period (2)
- LONG CAIRN? (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- WALL? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Eight unroofed buildings which are labelled as Old Shielings are depicted on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973). Six unroofed buildings and an incomplete enclosure are shown on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet cxxxiv).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 19 August 1996
The OS map shows a series of features to the east of Tòrr a’Bheithe which are described as 'Old Shielings'. These are not shielings but permanent structures both of drystone and possibly of turf and stone construction. They were not examined in detail. <1>
Tòrr a’Bheithe is a settlement of nine sub-rectangular ruins with at least some walling and another similar eight features with only signs of footings. Marked as old shielings on the modern OS maps, this was once, however, a permanent settlement with remains of several enclosure walls and a possible corn kiln. It was surveyed in 2013 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al.
Site 18. Approximately 10 x 1 ½ metres tumble of medium size stones set with heather on one side and bracken/ ex cultivated area on the other. Possible long cairn or part of a wall. <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2012 aerial photographs. <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth J. 1997. An Archaeological Survey of Millburn Plantation, Ru Arisaig Forest. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 10/12/1997. Digital (scanned as PDF). p.8 Site 9.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Rough Bounds Archaeology. 2016. Walkover Survey - Rhu Peninsula. Rough Bounds Archaeology. Digital. p.20 Site 18.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2012. Getmapping aerial photography 2012. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6453 8382 (7m by 8m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.