MHG59640 - Building/barn, Torr a' Bheithe, Rhu
Ruined building or barn at Torr a' Bheithe, Rhu
Type and Period (2)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BARN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Eight unroofed buildings which are labelled as Old Shielings are depicted on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973). Six unroofed buildings and an incomplete enclosure are shown on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet cxxxiv).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 19 August 1996
The OS map shows a series of features to the east of Tòrr a’Bheithe which are described as 'Old Shielings'. These are not shielings but permanent structures both of drystone and possibly of turf and stone construction. They were not examined in detail. <1>
Tòrr a’Bheithe is a settlement of nine sub-rectangular ruins with at least some walling and another similar eight features with only signs of footings. Marked as old shielings on the modern OS maps, this was once, however, a permanent settlement with remains of several enclosure walls and a possible corn kiln. It was surveyed in 2013 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al.
Site 30. Very large roofless ruin known as the “Winnowing Barn” lying c. N/S with standard entrance on the west side and a low built entrance for wind on the opposite east side. Stone work rougher and not as good as the dwelling at Wp 29 . To the east of the barn was a wide level area dotted with emerging medium size stones. Good views to north east and south and the whole backed to the NW behind the barn by a relatively steep 90 metre hill. The level area ended at the edge of a small cliff see Wp 32. It was unclear whether the level area was natural or not. Along with Wps 32 and 33 could possibly suggest burial ground along with chapel and surrounding enclosing wall, a Vallum. <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2012 aerial photographs. <3>
1st Edition OS 6" <4>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth J. 1997. An Archaeological Survey of Millburn Plantation, Ru Arisaig Forest. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 10/12/1997. Digital (scanned as PDF). p.8 Site 9.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Rough Bounds Archaeology. 2016. Walkover Survey - Rhu Peninsula. Rough Bounds Archaeology. Digital. p.20 Site 30.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2012. Getmapping aerial photography 2012. XY
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6432 8396 (7m by 15m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/118365 (Click to view HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.