MHG59643 - Dyke/possible vallum, Torr a' Bheithe, Rhu
Ruined dyke, a possible vallum at Torr a' Bheithe, Rhu
Type and Period (2)
- DYKE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- VALLUM? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Eight unroofed buildings which are labelled as Old Shielings are depicted on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973). Six unroofed buildings and an incomplete enclosure are shown on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet cxxxiv).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 19 August 1996
The OS map shows a series of features to the east of Tòrr a’Bheithe which are described as 'Old Shielings'. These are not shielings but permanent structures both of drystone and possibly of turf and stone construction. They were not examined in detail. <1>
Tòrr a’Bheithe is a settlement of nine sub-rectangular ruins with at least some walling and another similar eight features with only signs of footings. Marked as old shielings on the modern OS maps, this was once, however, a permanent settlement with remains of several enclosure walls and a possible corn kiln. It was surveyed in 2013 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al.
Site 32. Substantial stone built dyke running roughly east west for c. 20 metres at the foot of a 10 metre high cliff with a 3 to 4 metre gap between the cliff and the dyke. A large standing stone was incorporated ¾ way along the dyke to the west. The dyke then turns SSE to partly surround Wp 33. At the west end if you turn away to the north a ‘path’ made an easy way up to the top of the cliff. A very strange and enigmatic feature taken with Wps 33 and the ‘level’ area described at Wp 30 (MHG59640) "could possibly suggest burial ground along with chapel and surrounding enclosing wall, a Vallum". <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2012 aerial photographs. <3>
1st Edition OS 6" <4>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth J. 1997. An Archaeological Survey of Millburn Plantation, Ru Arisaig Forest. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 10/12/1997. Digital (scanned as PDF). p.8 Site 9.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Rough Bounds Archaeology. 2016. Walkover Survey - Rhu Peninsula. Rough Bounds Archaeology. Digital. p.20 Site 32.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2012. Getmapping aerial photography 2012. XY
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6435 8393 (33m by 32m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/118365 (Click to view HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.