MHG59652 - Wall, Torr a' Bheithe, Rhu
Wall at Torr a' Bheithe, Rhu
Type and Period (1)
- WALL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Eight unroofed buildings which are labelled as Old Shielings are depicted on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973). Six unroofed buildings and an incomplete enclosure are shown on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet cxxxiv).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 19 August 1996
This previously unidentified, complex structure of stone-built banks, no more than 0.5m high and covering c.20 x 20m, was surveyed by plane table in February 2013. It sits on a raised beach, with rigs to the S, and consists of a sinuous, non-rectangular enclosure c.5m E–W and 15m N–S; the N end of drops c.1.5m, as a stone-built revetment, to the ground below. To the N of this enclosure is a semi-circular wall, with an entrance into the gap between it and the enclosure halfway down the E side of the enclosure. The W end of the wall is blind, connecting to an extension of the enclosure wall, and a low, internal wall bridges the gap c.5m E of the blind end. (Bowker, K. (2014) Arisaig and Moidart, Baile Ur, Ru Peninsula, Survey, Discovery Excav Scot, New, vol. 14, 2013. Cathedral Communications Limited, Wiltshire, England. Page(s): 90-91)
Tòrr a’Bheithe is a settlement of nine sub-rectangular ruins with at least some walling and another similar eight features with only signs of footings. Marked as old shielings on the modern OS maps, this was once, however, a permanent settlement with remains of several enclosure walls and a possible corn kiln. It was surveyed in 2013 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al.
Site 3. Wall running roughly west and east for about 150 mtrs: marked on OS map. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2012 aerial photographs. <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth J. 1997. An Archaeological Survey of Millburn Plantation, Ru Arisaig Forest. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 10/12/1997. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Rough Bounds Archaeology. 2016. Walkover Survey - Rhu Peninsula. Rough Bounds Archaeology. Digital. p.19 Site 3.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2012. Getmapping aerial photography 2012.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6481 8437 (173m by 29m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/118365 (Click to view HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.