MHG59660 - Structure, Loch a' Mhulinn, Rhu
Degraded structure at Loch a' Mhulinn, Rhu
Type and Period (2)
- STRUCTURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BUILDING? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
What may be a township comprising four unroofed buildings, two of which are attached to an incomplete enclosure, and a field wall is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet cxxxiv). Seven unroofed buildings and two field walls are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 19 August 1996
A township, comprising seven buildings, some attached to enclosures and a few field clearance cairns situated behind the raised beach overlooking Saidheill Torr a' Bheithe, was recorded during a pre-afforestation survey (NMRS MS 961/39, nos 1-8). There are extensive traces of rig to the SE and S of the township. The buildings are all built of drystone rubble. <1> (See MHG27367 for main record)
Tòrr a’Bheithe is a settlement of nine sub-rectangular ruins with at least some walling and another similar eight features with only signs of footings. Marked as old shielings on the modern OS maps, this was once, however, a permanent settlement with remains of several enclosure walls and a possible corn kiln. It was surveyed in 2013 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al.
Site 41. Very degraded oblong feature c. 10 x 5 mtrs. <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2012 aerial photographs. <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth J. 1997. An Archaeological Survey of Millburn Plantation, Ru Arisaig Forest. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 10/12/1997. Digital (scanned as PDF). Sites 1-8.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Rough Bounds Archaeology. 2016. Walkover Survey - Rhu Peninsula. Rough Bounds Archaeology. Digital. p.21 Site 4.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2012. Getmapping aerial photography 2012.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6462 8448 (11m by 11m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/118366 (Click to view HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.