MHG59679 - Structure, Baile Ùr, Loch a' Mhulinn, Rhu
Structure within Baile Ùr township at Loch a' Mhulinn, Rhu
Type and Period (1)
- STRUCTURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
What may be a township comprising four unroofed buildings, two of which are attached to an incomplete enclosure, and a field wall is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet cxxxiv). Seven unroofed buildings and two field walls are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 19 August 1996 (see MHG27367 for main township record)
A township, comprising seven buildings, some attached to enclosures and a few field clearance cairns situated behind the raised beach overlooking Saidheill Torr a' Bheithe, was recorded during a pre-afforestation survey (NMRS MS 961/39, nos 1-8). There are extensive traces of rig to the SE and S of the township. The buildings are all built of drystone rubble. <1>
This settlement comprises a row of substantial ruins running parallel to the modern council road and was surveyed in 2013 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al. On the modern 25000 OS Map the route of the forestry track is incorrect; in fact it runs between the road and the ruins running north west until turning south west towards the woodland. The correct line of the track is indicated on the illustrative map of Baile Ùr on page 26.
Site 9. A very degraded oblong feature c.6 x 3 mtrs with entrance to NE. Possibly predating the surrounding evidence of cultivation. <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2012 aerial photographs. <3>
Note; This structure does not appear on the 1st Edition OS 6". (T. Blackie 25/2/19)
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth J. 1997. An Archaeological Survey of Millburn Plantation, Ru Arisaig Forest. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 10/12/1997. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Rough Bounds Archaeology. 2016. Walkover Survey - Rhu Peninsula. Rough Bounds Archaeology. Digital. p.25 Site 9. XY
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2012. Getmapping aerial photography 2012.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6465 8486 (6m by 7m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/118366 (Click to view HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.