MHG59683 - Buildings, Baile Ùr, Loch a' Mhulinn, Rhu
Ruined buildings within Baile Ùr township at Loch a' Mhulinn, Rhu
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
What may be a township comprising four unroofed buildings, two of which are attached to an incomplete enclosure, and a field wall is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet cxxxiv). Seven unroofed buildings and two field walls are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 19 August 1996 (see MHG27367 for main township record)
A township, comprising seven buildings, some attached to enclosures and a few field clearance cairns situated behind the raised beach overlooking Saidheill Torr a' Bheithe, was recorded during a pre-afforestation survey (NMRS MS 961/39, nos 1-8). There are extensive traces of rig to the SE and S of the township. The buildings are all built of drystone rubble. <1>
This settlement comprises a row of substantial ruins running parallel to the modern council road and was surveyed in 2013 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al. On the modern 25000 OS Map the route of the forestry track is incorrect; in fact it runs between the road and the ruins running north west until turning south west towards the woodland. The correct line of the track is indicated on the illustrative map of Baile Ùr on page 26.
Site 12. Relatively substantial ruin c. 8x5 mtrs with entrance on long side facing south. Also on the south side to the right facing out a small second building c. 5x3 ½ mtrs. West and north walls of structure still over a metre high. <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2012 aerial photographs. <3>
1st Edition OS 6" <4>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth J. 1997. An Archaeological Survey of Millburn Plantation, Ru Arisaig Forest. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 10/12/1997. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Rough Bounds Archaeology. 2016. Walkover Survey - Rhu Peninsula. Rough Bounds Archaeology. Digital. p.25 Site 12.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2012. Getmapping aerial photography 2012. XY
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6472 8490 (10m by 8m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/118366 (Click to view HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.