MHG59690 - Hut circle - Ben Suardal
A hut circle at Ben Suardal.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A hut circle at Ben Suardal.
A hut circle (site LS118), one of 29 identified or re-recorded by M Wildgoose in a walkover survey as part of the High Pasture Cave and Environs project. Two test pits were excavated in the hut circle in 2011. A circular, stone faced, turf ring-bank which measures 10m in overall diameter over a wall 2m wide. The site sites on a positive platform on the steep, north west facing slope of Beinn Suardal at circa 90m OD. The only finds were two rim sherds, possibly of 6th /7th century date, which lay amongst the stone-filled interior. There was no evidence for a hearth or occupation of the structure. A C14 date was not retrieved. <1>
Summary of the landscape survey project and test pitting campaign. <2>
162256 820230 HPC118 Ben Suardal 4: The hut circle was recorded by A Welti and J Guest in 2010 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross. This is one of a number of prehistoric roundhouses in the area in and around Strath Suardal. This Strath runs NE/SW from Broadford to Torrin. These roundhouses are of special interest as all are within relatively easy reach of the site of High Pasture Cave (MHG32043) and hence some may have been associated with it. HPC118 is in good condtion and is at a distance of 3000m from High Pasture Cave. Also a chambered cairn at a distance of 2500m to NE is in view. HPC118 is 10m downslope from HPC116 (see MHG6701). The surrounding landscape inside and outside the structure is a mixture of heather, bracken and grass. At the base of hillside there is green flat land stretching across to the loch, with many old field walls, and evidence of sheep gathering both ancient and modern. One old field wall runs E/W down the hill to abutt the HC and a further old wall joins the HC wall at SE and runs to the south. The double skinned wall shows clearly in the eastern arc. The turf bank is revetted with large boulders. In the eastern arc the double skinned wall shows clearly. Heather banking stretches from the western arc towards the centre of the HC where there is a depression. A small shieling or pen is built into the eastern sector of the HC wall with dimensions 3m x 2m. Average interior diameter is 7m and exterior diameter is 10. The wall is 2m thick with maximum height 0.3m. A possible entrance faces South. This HC was test-pitted by Martin Wildgoose and S Glover as part of the High Pasture Cave and Environs project, (see MHG5230). Excavation produced pottery sherds but no date. <3> <4>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
GIS spatial data created in 2019 to location as shown on 1999-2001 vertical APs. <5>
- <1> SHG28049 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wildgoose, M.. 2016. Uamh an Ard Achadh (High Pasture Cave) and Environs Project: Data Structure Report: Landscape Survey 2006-2010. Archaeological and Ancient Landscape Survey (AALS). Digital. LS118 p.22.
- <2> SHG24367 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Birch, S. & Wildgoose, M.. 2013. Uamh an Ard Achadh (High Pasture Cave) & Environs Project, Strath, Isle of Skye 2010/11: The Preliminary Assessment and Analysis of Late Prehistoric Cultural Deposits from a Limestone Cave and Associated Surface Features: Data Structure Report - HPC007. West Coast Archaeological Services et al. 17/12/2014. Digital. pp.63-73 LS118.
- <3> SHG27403 Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. HPC118.
- <4> SHG27404 Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. HPC118.
- <5> SHG27491 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 6226 2022 (16m by 16m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.wedigs.co.uk/ (View the WeDigs in Wester Ross Project website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.