MHG59699 - Hut circle - An Sithean
A hut circle at An Sithean.
Type and Period (2)
- (Alternate Type) ENCLOSURE? (Undated)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A hut circle at An Sithean. With reference to the original RCAHMS recording this hut circle is the 'eastern' of the two, although in reality the two hut circles are on a southwest-northeast alignment. See MHG5319.
(NG 6291 2204) About 70 yards (64.0m) E of the cairn at Sithean (NG62SW 4), but a slightly higher elevation, are the remains of two circular enclosures or hut circles, 9ft (2.7m) apart. The inner-and outer facing stones remain in position, showing the walls to have been 31ft in internal diameter and some 5ft thick, widening to 7ft on each side of the entrance to the S. The walls have probably been completed with turf which has disappeared. <1>
Two enclosures as described by RCAHMS although only the S segment of the eastern example is now visible. They are of the same type as Kearstach (NG51NE 2), although a little smaller, and Peinmore Portroe (NG44SE 7) where they are known locally as Druids Circles.
Visited by OS (C F W) 13 June 1961.
This hut circle was not relocated by M Wildgoose during a walkover survey as part of the High Pasture Cave and Environs project. <2>
Summary of the landscape survey project and test pitting campaign. <3>
GIS spatial data amended in 2019 to location as shown on 2010 APs. <4>
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1928. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles. . 213-14, No. 664.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wildgoose, M.. 2016. Uamh an Ard Achadh (High Pasture Cave) and Environs Project: Data Structure Report: Landscape Survey 2006-2010. Archaeological and Ancient Landscape Survey (AALS). Digital.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Birch, S. & Wildgoose, M.. 2013. Uamh an Ard Achadh (High Pasture Cave) & Environs Project, Strath, Isle of Skye 2010/11: The Preliminary Assessment and Analysis of Late Prehistoric Cultural Deposits from a Limestone Cave and Associated Surface Features: Data Structure Report - HPC007. West Coast Archaeological Services et al. 17/12/2014. Digital. pp.63-73.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2010. Getmapping aerial photography 2010.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 6285 2206 (20m by 20m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11602 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.