MHG59701 - Hut circle - An Sithean
A hut circle at An Sithean.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Late Bronze Age - 1127 BC to 973 BC)
- None recorded
A hut circle at An Sithean.
This hut circle (site LS33) is one of 29 identified or re-recorded by M Wildgoose in a walkover survey as part of the High Pasture Cave and Environs project. Two test pits were excavated in the hut circle in 2011. A discontinuous 12m diameter circle of large boulders set on a negative platform on an open, south west facing, hillside. The site now retains water and is very wet. Excavation revealed an occupation horizon consisting of compacted ash and occasional pot-boiler fragments. Two lithics were recovered from the ash floor. The wall has been robbed of all but the larger boulders. Samples taken from an occupation horizon returned a radiocarbon date of 1127-973BC - late Bronze Age. <1>
Summary of the landscape survey project and test pitting campaign. <2>
162785 822150 HPC33 An Sithean 3: The hut circle was visited by A Welti and J Guest in 2010 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross. This was part of a degree course overseen by Aberdeen University. This is one of a number of prehistoric roundhouses in the area in and around Strath Suardal. This Strath runs NE/SW from Broadford to Torrin. These roundhouses are of special interest as all are within relatively easy reach of the site of High Pasture Cave (MHG32043) and hence some may have been associated with it. HPC33 is at a distance of around 4000m from High Pasture Cave. The structure sits on a circular platform on a gentle NW facing slope with panoramic views inland. It is at a distance of 135m from a chambered cairn (see MHG5318). Distance from a stream is 300m, from the Broadford River is 300m and from freshwater Loch Cill Chriosd is 1600m. Vegetation in the surrounding landscape is a mixture of heather, grass, reeds and some bracken. Inside is similar, with some dwarf willow and moss. A thick rocky wall curves around the structure, at a distance of 5m from it. There is much bedrock in the wall itself. Only the outer diameter could be measured, This was an average of 12m. Some boulders were in place in the S and SE arcs but the wall structure could not be ascertained. There is a possibility of an entrance facing WSW. HPC33 is at a distance of 200m from HPC 36 (see MHG), 100m from HPC34 (see MHG) and 200m from HPC119 (see MHG5319). These HCs seem to be sited in a cluster around the chambered cairn. This HC was test-pitted by M Wildgoose and S Glover as part of the High Pasture Cave and Environs Project, (see MHG5230). Flint flakes, charcoals and pot boilers were found and from the occupation floor a Middle Bronze Age date of 1127-973BC was obtained. <3> <4>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
GIS spatial data amended in 2019 to location as shown on 2010 APs. <5>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wildgoose, M.. 2016. Uamh an Ard Achadh (High Pasture Cave) and Environs Project: Data Structure Report: Landscape Survey 2006-2010. Archaeological and Ancient Landscape Survey (AALS). Digital. Site LS33 p.20.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Birch, S. & Wildgoose, M.. 2013. Uamh an Ard Achadh (High Pasture Cave) & Environs Project, Strath, Isle of Skye 2010/11: The Preliminary Assessment and Analysis of Late Prehistoric Cultural Deposits from a Limestone Cave and Associated Surface Features: Data Structure Report - HPC007. West Coast Archaeological Services et al. 17/12/2014. Digital. Site LS33 pp.63-73.
- <3> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. HPC33.
- <4> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. HPC33.
- <5> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2010. Getmapping aerial photography 2010. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 6276 2215 (18m by 18m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.wedigs.co.uk/ (View the WeDigs in Wester Ross Project website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.