MHG59703 - Hut circle or enclosure - An Sithean
A hut circle or enclosure at An Sithean.
Type and Period (2)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- (Alternate Type) ENCLOSURE? (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A hut circle or enclosure at An Sithean.
This hut circle (site LS33) is one of 29 identified or re-recorded by M Wildgoose in a walkover survey as part of the High Pasture Cave and Environs project. Two test pits were excavated in the hut circle in 2011. A roughly circular revetted platform, 12 meters in diameter, lying in a shallow depression with open views to the south west. Excavation produced no evidence for occupation although several lithics were recovered from the single context, loam covered, platform. <1>
Summary of the landscape survey project and test pitting campaign. <2>
162613 822050 HPC36 An Sithean 5: The hut circle was visited by A Welti and J Guest in 2010 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross. This was part of a degree course overseen by Aberdeen University. This is one of a number of prehistoric roundhouses in the area in and around Strath Suardal. This Strath runs NE/SW from Broadford to Torrin. These roundhouses are of special interest as all are within relatively easy reach of the site of High Pasture Cave (MHG32043) and hence some may have been associated with it. HPC36 is at a distance of around 3500m from High Pasture Cave. At a distance of 5m to NW is a possible cist which seems to be in a stone setting. A chambered cairn lies in a green area about 100m to E (see MHG5318). HPC36 is a shallow revetted circular platform sitting on a moderate west facing slope which eases into a flat strath. Inside the structure vegetation is mainly grass with heather and bracken. The surrounding landscape is simllar but with a greater proportion of heather. Views from the site are panoramic inland. It is 200m from a stream and 300m from the Broadford River. A spring rises 10m upslope to E. The walling is double skinned with average internal diameter 11.5m and external diameter 14.0m. Wall thickness is 1.2m with maximum height 0.5m. A possible entrance faces SW with width both internally and externally 1.5m. Entrance terminals are extended giving a passage length of 4m. HPC36 is at a distance of 120m from HPC34 (see MHG59702), 200m from HPC33 (see MHG59701) and 300m from HPC119 (see MHG5319). These HCs seem to be sited in a cluster around the chambered cairn. This HC was test-pitted by M Wildgoose and S Glover as part of the High Pasture Cave and Environs project, (see MHG5230). There was no evidence for occupation. Lithics, a small pebble rubbing stone and charcoals were found but no date obtained. <3> <4>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
GIS spatial data amended in 2019 to location as shown on 2010 APs. <5>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wildgoose, M.. 2016. Uamh an Ard Achadh (High Pasture Cave) and Environs Project: Data Structure Report: Landscape Survey 2006-2010. Archaeological and Ancient Landscape Survey (AALS). Digital. Site LS36 p.20.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Birch, S. & Wildgoose, M.. 2013. Uamh an Ard Achadh (High Pasture Cave) & Environs Project, Strath, Isle of Skye 2010/11: The Preliminary Assessment and Analysis of Late Prehistoric Cultural Deposits from a Limestone Cave and Associated Surface Features: Data Structure Report - HPC007. West Coast Archaeological Services et al. 17/12/2014. Digital. Site LS36 pp.63-73.
- <3> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. HPC36.
- <4> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. HPC36.
- <5> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2010. Getmapping aerial photography 2010. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 6259 2206 (18m by 18m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.wedigs.co.uk/ (View the WeDigs in Wester Ross Project website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.