MHG59739 - Commemorative Ship Bell - Kincardine and Croick Church
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT (18th Century - 1701 AD to 1800 AD)
- None recorded
A Bell is situated above the side door of the church with a plaque inscibed with:
BELL, CAPTURED IN A FRENCH SHIP OF WAR
OF 74 GUNS WAS GIFTED
BY ADM. SIR JOHN ROSS OF BALNAGOUN, BART.
IN THE YEAR 1778.
TO THE PARISH OF KINCARDINE
When Britains Navies did a World control.
And spread her Empire to the farthest Poles;
High stood our Hero in the Rolls of Fame.
And FLOCKHART, then became a Deathlists name
This Bell no more shall witness Blood or Gore.
Nor shall his Voice mix with the Cannons roar.
But to Kincardine by the Hero given.
Shall call the Sinner to the peace of Heaven.
Information from M Briscoe, 30 July 2013
See HES Canmore record for photos of the church and bell contributed by M. Briscoe. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5944 9100 (4m by 4m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331930/lower-gledfield-kincardine-cruick-and-edderton-church-of-scotland (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.