MHG59765 - Building, Doire na Drise, Rhu
Building at Doire na Drise, Rhu
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Twelve unroofed buildings which are labelled as Old Shielings are depicted on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973). Twelve unroofed buildings are shown, though not at the same locations, on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet cxxxiv).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 19 August 1996
Doire na Drise is a large, once permanent settlement and was surveyed in 2013 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al. As with Tòrr a Bheithe, it is marked on the modern Ordnance Survey map 1:25000 as old shielings. Nine ruins which are probably dwellings were recorded, most having extant walling between 0.75ms and 1.5m high. Seven of the buildings along with a couple of smaller ruins are possibly byres or storage buildings and are clustered together giving the settlement the air of being a township.
Site 23. Substantial square cornered building c.6 x 12 mtrs with walls to at least 1.75 mtrs. East and west walls complete with no windows, north and south short ends tumbled but with evidence of gables and possibly windows. Entrance over 1 mtrs wide on west side. Possible 19th century utilitarian building rather than house. No sign of wood or metal any where to help determine structure. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2012 aerial photographs. <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
Note. Picture copyright of Highland Council (T.Blackie 6/3/19)
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Rough Bounds Archaeology. 2016. Walkover Survey - Rhu Peninsula. Rough Bounds Archaeology. Digital. p.37 Site 23.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2012. Getmapping aerial photography 2012. XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6299 8345 (8m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/118363 (Click to view HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.