MHG59776 - Buildings, Doire na Drise, Rhu
Ruined buildings at Doire na Drise, Rhu
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Twelve unroofed buildings which are labelled as Old Shielings are depicted on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973). Twelve unroofed buildings are shown, though not at the same locations, on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet cxxxiv).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 19 August 1996
Doire na Drise is a large, once permanent settlement and was surveyed in 2013 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al. As with Tòrr a Bheithe, it is marked on the modern Ordnance Survey map 1:25000 as old shielings. Nine ruins which are probably dwellings were recorded, most having extant walling between 0.75ms and 1.5m high. Seven of the buildings along with a couple of smaller ruins are possibly byres or storage buildings and are clustered together giving the settlement the air of being a township.
Site 31. A series of four ruins, three in a line and one more tumbled and ruinous on the west side of the central building;
Building A: Starting at the northern end the first building was 6 x 4 mtrs long side facing south with the entrance to the south c. 75 cms wide and walls to ½ metre.
Building B: Built with short side to the first building with a narrow gap between them the second building was c. 6 x 9 long side facing east with an entrance on the east side c.75 cms. Built with two compartments the entrance into the northern most side and a way into the south side internally next to the western wall.
Building C: The third ruin a few metres to the south in a line with the second building was c.12 x 6 mtrs with the entrance (75 cms) also on the long side facing east. Evidence of an internal dividing wall.
Building D: The fourth building c.3 x 5 mtrs with long side parallel with the second building - very tumbled walls only to ½ mtr with only a substantial section of wall extant to 1 ½ metres on the south side of the western entrance. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2012 aerial photographs. <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
Note. Photograph copyright Highland Council (T.Blackie 6/3/19)
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Rough Bounds Archaeology. 2016. Walkover Survey - Rhu Peninsula. Rough Bounds Archaeology. Digital. p.38 Site 31.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2012. Getmapping aerial photography 2012. XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6280 8337 (18m by 28m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/118363 (Click to view HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.