MHG59779 - Sheepfold, Port a’ Bhàthaich , Rhu
Sheepfold at Port a’ Bhàthaich, Rhu
Type and Period (1)
- FANK (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
This survey, undertaken on the east side of Port a’ Bhàthaich in 2013 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al, covered the land east of the fields of Rhu farm and the bay at Port a Bhàthaich.
Site 15. Large stone built sheep fank c. 32 x 42 mtrs, possibly built in the 1840s or earlier if built for cattle. A wide, over one metre, main entrance on long side facing NW. Two walled internal sections on the SE end, one c. 9 mtrs wide the far one only 3 mtrs wide. Both sections c. 29 mtrs long and with small entrances on the SW sides. Two blocked up ‘sheep creeps’ were noted; one leading from the narrow section on the SE side, another in the SW wall opposite the internal sections with a further normal entrance also opposite the internal sections. Remains of hinges and wood from gates or doors were noted. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2012 aerial photographs. <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6255 8471 (40m by 43m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.