MHG59897 - Port War Signal Station - Coast Battery, Site No. 1, North Sutor
Port War Signal Station associated with the First World War Site No. 1, 9.2 inch Battery.
Type and Period (1)
- SIGNAL STATION (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
On a plan of the site (The National Archives WO 78/5192) dated 1922 there is a building annotated 'War Signal Station', with a mast base immediately to the S of it. This is the Port War Signal Station which would have monitored all shipping moving past the batteries.
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 30 July 2013. <1>
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied by AKK from the RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <2>
The North Sutor camps, batteries and associated buildings and features were scheduled by Historic Environment Scotland with effect from 26/03/2019. <3>
For other installations associated with the First World War (Site No. 1) 9.2 inch battery site, see also MHG35176, MHG35177, MHG35179, MHG35183, MHG46670, MHG59148, MHG59175, MHG59142.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 331901.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 585. XY
- <3> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2019. Addition to the Schedule of Monuments: SM13570: North Sutor Battery, batteries and camps. Historic Environment Scotland. 27/03/2019. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8188 6891 (9m by 11m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM13570 (View online HES designation record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331901/north-sutor-coast-battery-port-war-signal-station (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.