MHG59921 - Pier, Taigh a’Phortair (Porter’s Lodge) Rhumach Field and Steadings, Rhu
Ruined pier at Taigh a’Phortair (Porter’s Lodge) Rhumach Field and Steadings, Rhu
Type and Period (1)
- PIER (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
This survey, undertaken in 2014 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al, covered the land around Taigh a’Phortair (Porter’s Lodge) Rhumach Field and Steadings.
Site 4. Ruined pier, built in 1885 for MacBrayne's steamers. Until 1901, when the railway came through, it was the main port for goods and passengers arriving and departing from Arisaig and surrounding districts. Pier head measurements c.12 x 12 mtrs. 4 or 5
steps lead at right angles to pier head lead down to lower level which is now rubble and with decayed concrete surrounds. Two iron anchor rings at top of pier. Most of the above only visible and accessible at a low tide. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2012 aerial photographs. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6269 8515 (15m by 12m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.