MHG59932 - Enclosure, Rhumach, Rhu
Enclosure at Rhumach, Rhu
Type and Period (2)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BUILDING? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
This survey, undertaken in 2014 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al, covered the land around Taigh a’Phortair (Porter’s Lodge) Rhumach Field and Steadings.
Site 23. Rhumach field. Large field with boundary wall – 1.5m in height, enclosing field and section of hillside above field, to the south. This main field is over 430 metres east to west and averages plus or minus 200 metres north to south. Field in bad state – neglected and reverting to natural state. Dry at west end but boggy in the east two thirds. Wall in reasonable condition with a few tumbled spaces. Entrance at west end of north wall which runs alongside the road. At the west end of the field there are scattered stones embedded in an area c.80 x 40m. Could this be the remains of dwellings demolished after the clearance of 1842? 20 families were cleared from the Rhumach area in 1842. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2012 aerial photographs. <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Rough Bounds Archaeology. 2016. Walkover Survey - Rhu Peninsula. Rough Bounds Archaeology. Digital. p.73 Site 23.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2012. Getmapping aerial photography 2012. XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6339 8527 (461m by 288m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.