MHG60003 - Walling, enclosure, Druim an Daraich, Rhu
Remains of walling and enclosure at Druim an Daraich, Rhu.
Type and Period (3)
- WALL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BUILDING (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
A walkover survey was undertaken in 2015 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al, covering the area of the coast running south-west from Saideil Druim an Daraich.
Site 4. Walling c. 75 cms high at running slightly north of west landward side a gently sloping paddock once probably cultivated. Wall clearly marked on OS 1:25000 map. A modern house at top of paddock built in fyfestone by Joan Becher; later bought by M. Nami and the house then clad in dark wood in the style of the Astley Memorial Hall in Arisaig.
Site 5. Walling turns NE with a good gate way to shore with iron posts set in the stones on either side of the gateway. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 aerial photographs <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Rough Bounds Archaeology. 2016. Walkover Survey - Rhu Peninsula. Rough Bounds Archaeology. Digital. p.119 Sites 4&5.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6830 8424 (96m by 160m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.