MHG60068 - Building/byre?, Lón Liath, Torr Mor Ghaoideil, Rhu
Building/byre with nearby enclosure or pen at Lón Liath, Torr Mor Ghaoideil, Rhu
Type and Period (4)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BYRE? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- PEN? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- ENCLOSURE? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
What may be a farmstead comprising two unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet cxxxv) and on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 19 August 1996
This site was visited in January 2011 by Ken and Jean Bowker of Moidart Local History Group. A brief report including photographs was submitted to the HER and is attached to this record. The buildings are described as follows:
"About 25m to the south west (of the main farmstead MHG27373) is a second unroofed building aligned southwest / northeast, approximately 7m by 3.5m with rounded external corners and right-angled internal corners. This building is much more roughly built than its neighbour and has a door in the north end, but no signs of windows. It is thought that this building was probably a byre." <1>
A walkover survey at Lón Liath was undertaken in 2015 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al, covering a large level open field of old feannagan or rigs running north-east south-west for over 300 metres and over 80 metres at its widest point between the Lón Liath burn and the woodland.
Site 15b. Building c. 16 metres to south west (of the main farmsted MHG27373) is more generally tumbled c.9 x 5 metres with long side facing east/west and doorway on the short north side. A further 15 metres to south just as land starts to slope steeply a levelled area between the side ridges with a tumbled wall c.4 metres across the gap on the north side – possible enclosure or holding pen for animals – no longer signs of south walling. <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2012 aerial photographs. <3>
1st Edition OS 6" <4>
- <1> Text/Manuscript: Bowker, K & J. 01/2011. Torr Mor Ghaoideil. Yes. Digital.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Rough Bounds Archaeology. 2016. Walkover Survey - Rhu Peninsula. Rough Bounds Archaeology. Digital. p.128 Site 15b.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2012. Getmapping aerial photography 2012. XY
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6739 8388 (19m by 18m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/118372 (Click to view HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.