MHG60106 - Cross Slab - Old Parish Church of Sleat, Kilmore
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CROSS SLAB (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
The medieval parish church of Sleat probably occupied the position of its 17th-century successor in the burial-ground NE of the present parish church at Kilmore. A small cross-marked stone was recorded in the ruined church in 1978, and is now in the parish church. The stone is a roughly tapered slab of mica-schist, 0.62m by 0.17m in maximum width and 70mm in thickness. On one face there is a cross, 0.22m high by 0.16m across the arms. It is weatherworn but has been incised with U-section grooves about 25mm wide, and its top and side arms cut into the edges of the slab. The vertical limb, which follows the line of a natural crack, is slightly deeper than the cross-arm. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NG 6575 0696 (20m by 20m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/319479/skye-kilmore-old-parish-church-of-sleat (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.