MHG60194 - Building - Slate Quarry, Creag Nam Meall
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The unroofed slate built building at the south east edge of the spoil heap of MHG50310 measures approximately 4.5m in length by 4.0m in width internally. The opening at the south east corner is about 0.95m in width on the short wall. The long walls are gabled with a wall thickness of some 0.75m. There is no evidence of fenestration. This building is not depicted on the Ordnance Survey 6-inch map (Inverness-shire (Mainland), surveyed 1870 (published 1873), sheet CLXVI) and on Ordnance survey 6-inch map (Inverness-shire (Mainland), surveyed 1899 (published 1903), sheet CLXVI), although the abandoned slate quarry to which this building is associated is depicted but not named on both maps. The site and Creag nam Meall (Rock of the Hillocks) on which it sits is now in a Forestry Commission plantation.
Visited by RCAHMS (MMD/IA), 30th July 2014.
GIS spatial data created 2019 based OS Master Map. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NN 0664 6402 (12m by 11m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/341109/glen-righ-creag-nam-meall-slate-quarry (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.