MHG60207 - Cairnfield - west of Milburn Cottage, Rhu
Cairnfield west of Milburn Cottage, Rhu
Type and Period (3)
- BURIAL CAIRN? (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- CAIRNFIELD (Unknown date)
- None recorded
A walkover survey of the Claggan and area west of Milburn was undertaken in 2014 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al.
Site 20. One of several enigmatic cairns in a large grassy field gently sloping to the north. This cairn c.7 metres diameter possibly robbed and placed at the top of the slope.
Site 22. A south to north spread of cairns placed near the top and middle of the sloping field:
1. Largest and southern most cairn c.10 x 6 metres and to 1.5 metres high
2. 6 metres to the east a complete cairn c.5 x 3 mtrs
3. 10 metres to north of 1. a possibly robbed cairn c.5 x 5 mtrs
4. 12 metres to the north again another possibly robbed cairn c. 5 x 5 mtrs
5. 12 metres to east of 4. possibly another cairn but maybe natural outcrop.
Site 23. A small cairn on the east side of the field c.2 metres long. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2012 aerial photographs. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6447 8504 (27m by 97m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.