MHG60232 - Platform and possible hut circle - Srathain
A platform and possible hut circle, at Srathain, Lochbroom.
Type and Period (2)
- HUT CIRCLE? (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- PLATFORM (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A platform and possible hut circle at Srathain, Lochbroom.
212734 897313 EI003 Srathain 3: The site was visited by A Welti and E Ing in 2011-12 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross. This was part of a degree course overseen by Aberdeen University. This circular stone structure sits on a revetted platform on a very steep South facing exposed hillside above Allt an-t Srathain, a river which flows eastwards to Rhue and Loch Broom. The hillside is above a cultivated valley with evidence of later settlement. The site is at an elevation of 135m. This and two other structures were discovered after muirburn burnt away the heather and bracken which had previously obscured the stone settings. As regeneration took place the surrounding vegetation has become a mixture of heather, grass and bracken. Inside the structure bracken predominates. EI003 is at a distance of 100m from a stream and 330m from Allt an-t Srathain. The structure sits in a sheltered bowl on a very steep slope, but is solidly revetted and has not slumped in the same way as have EI002 (see MHG60226) and EI002 (see MHG60228). On the southern arc is a line of leaning orthostats which mark a clear inner edge. The outer edge has fallen away. In the norhern arc the tallest orthostat stands at 0.5m. EI003 does not seem to be the same sort of structure as EI001, EI002. It is small: average inner diameter is 4.0m, outer diameter is 6.95m. The double skinned wall is 1.5m thick with maximum height 0.5m. A possible entrance faces east, but tumble makes this interpretation doubtful. EI003 is at a distance of 120m from EI001 and 90m from EI002. <1> <2>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
An additional visit was made to the site by A Welti and I Brandt in 2016. <3>
GIS spatial data created in 2019 to approximate location as shown on 2016 APs. <3>
- <1> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. EI003.
- <2> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. EI003.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Welti, A.. 2016. Photographs of possible hut circle Srathain 3. Colour digital. Yes. Digital.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2016. Getmapping aerial photography 2016. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 1273 9732 (16m by 16m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.wedigs.co.uk/ (View the WeDigs in Wester Ross Project website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.