MHG60238 - Enclosure - Eskadale Wood
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- EARTHWORK (Undated)
- ENCLOSURE (Undated)
- None recorded
Earthwork, Easter Eskadale Wood, Kinneras.
In the wood ¼ mile W of Kinerras Farm and just below the road along the ridge from Audlfearn to Cruive is a bank of earth mixed with a few stones about 2’ forming the periphery of a circle 250 to 300 in diameter interrupted by a gap some 4’ wide on the WNW. The area enclosed is on the steep slope between the 800’ and 750’ contours and very uneven. The centre is said to be ‘stony’ (? Of a cairn) but this feature could not be detected owing to the closeness of the trees and the thick carpet of needles and moss. Mr MacDonald, who has known the region for 86 years, says that before plantation the slope was uncultivated and the circle was very distinct. It does not agree with the description given by Wallace in Trans. Inverness Sci. Soc III, 145.
Visited by RCAHMS (VGC) 21 August 1943
MHG2734 is likely to be the stony centre, possibly of a cairn, referred to above. GW 03/05/2019
The enclosure is depicted on the 1st and 2nd edition OS Maps. <1> <2>
GIS spatial data created 2019 based on OS Master Map. <3>
- --- Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 340866.
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-4. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Inverness. Digital.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1900-5. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Inverness. Digital.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4702 4056 (77m by 78m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/340866/eskadale-wood (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.