MHG60260 - Turf and stone walled enclosure - northeast of Milburn, Rhu

Summary

Turf and stone walled enclosure northeast of Milburn, Rhu

Type and Period (3)

  • TURF WALL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
  • ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
  • WALL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

A walkover survey of the northern edge of Claggan and north & east of Milburn was undertaken in 2014 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al.

Sites 12,26,27. Old turf and stone wall running E/W for c.50 mtrs between natural dykes. Old enclosure running down towards the road and shore. Eastern edge largely demarked by natural substantial dyke. The western wall is constructed of stone walling enhancing a natural dyke. The northern wall of this enclosure no longer apparent – perhaps destroyed when the modern road was made. <1>

NGR adjusted based on 2012 aerial photographs. <2>

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NM 6454 8523 (60m by 56m)
Map sheet NM68NW
Civil Parish ARISAIG AND MOIDART
Geographical Area LOCHABER

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.