MHG60274 - Hut circle - Tournaig (A)
A hut circle at Tournaig.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A hut circle at Tournaig.
187750 884154 JAN022 Tournaig A: The site was visited by A MacInnes in 2014 as part of research for a dissertation by A Welti on hut circles in Wester Ross. This was part of a degree course overseen by Aberdeen University. This is one of a group of 4 circular stone structures north of Tournaig Farm and above and east of the main road. It is in fair condition. The surrounding landscape is almost entirely grass with some bracken and rushes, and is currently heavily grazed. Inside there is grass and bracken. The HC platform is on a natural knoll and is built out from a moderate SW facing slope and has panoramic views inland and to the sea. It is 100m from a stream and 300m from sea loch, Loch Tournaig. Average inner Dameter is 7.5m, outer diameter is 10.75m. The double skinned wall has thickness 1.5m and maximum height 0.5m. A definite entrance faces SE and has external width 0.8m, internal width 1.5m, with passage length 1.6m. The entrance has extended terminals (see sketch). JAN022 is 600m from JAN027 (see MHG60725), 400m from JAN028 (see MHG49731) and 500m from JAN029 (see MHG49732). <1> <2>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
GIS spatial data created in 2019 as per location as seen on 2009 vertical APs. <3>
- <1> SHG27403 Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. JAN022.
- <2> SHG27404 Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. JAN022.
- <3> SHG27382 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8774 8416 (15m by 15m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.wedigs.co.uk (View the WeDigs in Wester Ross Project website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.