MHG60275 - Hut circle - Tournaig (B)
A hut circle at Tournaig.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A hut circle at Tournaig.
187995 884579 JAN027: The site was visited by A MacInnes in 2014 as part of research for a dissertation by A Welti on hut circles in Wester Ross. This was part of a degree course overseen by Aberdeen University. This is one of a group of 4 circular stone structures north of Tournaig Farm and above and east of the main road. The platform sits on a moderate west facing slope. The HC is in fair condition; banking and stone facings are visible. There are panoramic views drom the site, including sea loch, Loch Tournaig. Tournaig Dun (see MHG7570) and AMC208 (see MHG7757) re visible from JAN027. The surrounding landscape cover is a mixture of heather and grass, on site vegetation is mainly bracken with some grass. The average inner diameter of the structure is 7.2m, outer diameter is 10.2m. The double skinned wall is 1.8m thick with maximum height 0.8m. There is a definite entrance facing SE with external width 0.7m, internal width 0.8m and passage length 1m. The southern terminal is extended, perhaps to protect from prevailing winds (see sketch). On the West sector is a large upright orthostat. There is a small stone structure at the centre of JAN027, probably a later pen. JAN027 is 600m from JAN022 (see MHG60724) and 300m from JAN028 (see MHG49731) and JAN029 (see MHG49732). <1> <2>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
GIS spatial data created in 2019 as per location as seen on 2009 vertical APs. <3>
- <1> SHG27403 Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. JAN027.
- <2> SHG27404 Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. JAN027.
- <3> SHG27382 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8799 8458 (20m by 20m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.wedigs.co.uk (View the WeDigs in Wester Ross Project website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.