MHG60277 - Enclosure and Structures - Glaic West
No summary available.
Type and Period (3)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- STRUCTURE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1560 AD to 2100 AD)
- LIME KILN? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
The structures W of Glaic and the river were recorded during a desk based assessment and walkover survey undertaken by J Wordsworth and J Harden at Torridon for the National Trust for Scotland in 1996-2002. They were not marked on the 1837 estate map but do appear on the 1875 OS map.
Centred at NG 8314 5818 was an enclosure formed by a wiggly drystone dyke containing an area of rig, clearance cairns and a small stone structure at NG 8311 5817 set into the slope which could just conceivably have been a kiln.
Outside and to the SW of the enclosure were 4 structures, 2 of which were roofed on the 1875 OS map:
220b) NG 8310 5814 was originaly one roofed structure as marked on the 1st ed OS map sited along the centre part of the total length of what is today two structures. Aligned NW-SE, that to the N was a tin roofed house with chimneys in both gables, a central door facing NE and flanking windows. It was well mortared, almost harled, and measured c9m by c5m.
There was a gap to the next structure but slight traces of the original front and back walls were visible in the turf across the c4m length. The part of the structure to the S appeared to be drystone construction, had rounded corners and stood to the wallheads and part of the SE gable height. It was c4m by c5m over walls c0.6m thick. Access was through the NW wall but a blocked doorway was visible in the NE elevation. A blocked ?creep? Was in the SE wall.
There were the slight remains of an additional structure on the SE end of this, visible in the turf for c4m length.
220c) NG 8313 5812 was a rectangular structure aligned NW-SE and standing to wallhead height for much of its length and full gable height. Apparently of drystone construction, it was c7m by c4m over walls c0.6m thick, with a slightly off-centre doorway in the N part of the NE facing wall.
220d) NG 8312 5811 was a rectangular drystone structure aligned NW-SE standing up to c1.2m to the wallheads but without gables - perhaps they were of turf? It was c6.5m by c4m over walls c0.5m thick, with squared external corners but rounded internal ones. The doorway was central in the NW end, the long walls had two sets of opposing cruck slots in them. <1>
GIS spatial data was created 2019 based on OS Master Map and represents the four structures outside to the SW of the enclosure only. The extent of the enclosure, based on the description given above, 1st and 2nd OS maps and current OS mapping, was unclear. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8311 5813 (38m by 38m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/338683/torridon-glaic-west (Likn to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.