MHG60348 - Railway Station - Fort Augustus
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- RAILWAY STATION (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- RAILWAY PLATFORM (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
Fort Augustus pier and railway station was visited by NOSAS in 2014. The site was at the W end of Loch Ness and at the NE end of the old railway line from Spean Bridge to Fort Augustus. The pier was built for the Invergarry – Fort Augustus trains to meet the Loch Ness steamer. The railway was opened in 1903, but this short section of the line north of the main Fort Augustus station (on the south side of the canal and the river) was closed for passenger trains in 1906; it continued in use for goods trains until 1924. <1>
The station consisted of a single platform with a loop. It was known as 'Pier'. From an old picture and 1960s OS mapping, the railway station was located opposite Old Pier House and between the the raised platform edge and the pier. It has been demolished with no evidence of the station remaining. See link below to Disused Staions website for additional information and pictures. <2>
GIS spatial data representative of probable area the station was located within based on 1960s OS Mapping. <3>
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 345829, 339977.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Webpage: Disused Stations Team. 2004-2015. Disused Stations: Closed Railway Stations in the UK. Yes. Digital. Fort Augustus Pier.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1964. Ordnance survey 25 inch Map. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3850 0994 (31m by 44m)|
|Civil Parish||BOLESKINE AND ABERTARFF|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/f/fort_augustus_pier/index.shtml (Link to online Disued Stations site entry)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/339977/fort-augustus-pier-station (Link to online HES Canmore record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/345829/bunoich-fort-augustus-pier-and-pier-railway-station (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.