MHG60349 - Old Pier House - Fort Augustus
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- HOUSE (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- HOTEL (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
Fort Augustus pier and railway station was visited by NOSAS in 2014. It was noted that 'The station has been extended since it's conversion to a domestic residence' <1> The station however, visible in an picture taken in 1905, has since been demolished <2> It is therefore likely that the station refered to by NOSAS was actually Old Pier House, the front gable end of which is visible in the same 1905 photo where it was located opposite to the station. It was likely used as the Station Master's House. Old Pier House is now used as a bed and breakfast. GW 17/05/19
GIS Spatial data created 219 based on OS Master Map. <3>
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 345829, 339977.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Webpage: Disused Stations Team. 2004-2015. Disused Stations: Closed Railway Stations in the UK. Yes. Digital. Fort Augustus Pier.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3848 0996 (24m by 28m)|
|Civil Parish||BOLESKINE AND ABERTARFF|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/f/fort_augustus_pier/index.shtml (Link to online Disused Station website site entry)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.