MHG60349 - Old Pier House - Fort Augustus
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- STATION MASTERS HOUSE (20th Century - 1903 AD to 1924 AD?)
- HOTEL (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
Fort Augustus pier and the site of the former railway station was visited by NOSAS in 2014. It was noted that 'The station has been extended since it's conversion to a domestic residence' <1>
The station however, visible in an picture taken in 1905, has since been demolished. <2>
It is therefore likely that the 'station' referred to by NOSAS was is now called 'Old Pier House', the front gable end of which is visible in the same 1905 photo where it was located opposite to the station. It was likely used as the Station Master's House. It is now used as a bed and breakfast. GW 17/05/19
GIS Spatial data amended 2021 based partly on OS Master Map. <3>
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 345829, 339977.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Webpage: Disused Stations Team. 2004-2015. Disused Stations: Closed Railway Stations in the UK. Yes. Digital. Fort Augustus Pier.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3848 0996 (13m by 13m)|
|Civil Parish||BOLESKINE AND ABERTARFF|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/f/fort_augustus_pier/index.shtml (Link to online Disused Station website site entry)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.