MHG60408 - Hut circle - Inveran (1)
A hut circle at Inveran.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A hut circle at Inveran.
187878 878839 AEMC001 Inveran 1: The hut circle was visited by A MacInnes in 2011 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross for A Welti. This was part of a degree course overseen by Aberdeen University. This circular stone structure is in good condition. It is a substantial hut circle overgrown with trees. There are at least 3 courses of large stones visible to the NE on the inner wall and a boulder field wall abutts the NE side of the HC. The platform sits dug into and built out frm a moderate S facing slope. The interior of the HC forms a 'bird's nest' shape. The surrounding terrain cover is heather, bracken and woodland. Inside the structure there are a good number of trees as well as heather and bracken. The site is 100m from the River Ewe to the south and 500m from fresh-water Loch Doireto the SW. From the site there are panoramic views inland. AEMC001 has average inner diameter 6.3m and external diameter 8.8m. The double skinned wall is 1.1m thick with maximum height 0.8m. A definite entrance faces SE with external width 0.8m internal width 1.0m and passage length 2.4m. This indicates extended entrance terminals. AEMC001 is 400m from AEMC019 (see MHG60410). <1> <2>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
GIS spatial data created in 2019 based on 2009 vertical APs <3>
- <1> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. AEMC001.
- <2> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. AEMC001.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8787 7885 (14m by 14m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.wedigs.co.uk (View the WeDigs in Wester Ross Project website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.