MHG60416 - Building - Gruinard Island
Footings of a building on Gruinard Island
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A township comprising four unroofed buildings, three enclosures, one of which has four compartments, and a head-dyke is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire and Cromartyshire 1881, sheet xx). Three unroofed buildings, one roofed building attached to a two compartment enclosure, three other enclosures and a head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1969).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 13 February 1996 - see MHG21635 for main township record.
A survey of Gruinard Island was undertaken in 2018 by Jim Buchanan and Anne MacInnes with assistance from Gordon Grant and Karen Buchanan as part of a study of the island for Gairloch Museum.
Site 6. Footings of a building measuring 16 x 5m with two compartments. The footings are made with large rough boulders. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 AP’s <2>
Note; This structure does not appear on the 1st Edition OS 6" (T.Blackie 22/5/19).
|Grid reference||Centred NG 9455 9347 (6m by 14m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/105103 (Click to view HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.