MHG60440 - House, byre and enclosure - Upper Camas-Beithe, Aird Peninsula, Shieldaig
Ruined house, byre and enclosure at Upper Camas-Beithe on Aird Peninsula, Shieldaig
Type and Period (4)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BYRE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- DYKE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
The area known as the Aird Peninsula, Shieldaig was surveyed by Anne MacInnes and Terry Doe in 2013. The Aird area has been well populated and worked probably in pre clearance times around the 18th century or even before. The building type is typical of this time. The evidence of ports in every area of settlement shows use of the sea for both access and fishing.
This is a house and byre within an enclosure built on the flat area above Camas-Beithe. From this building there is evidence of a stone dyke running across the peninsula down to the sea. It becomes quite substantial approaching the E side of the peninsula. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
Ordnance Survey Mastermap <4>
Note; Dyke not visible on aerial photographs. (T. Blackie 27/5/19)
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacInnes, A.. 2018. Aird Peninsula, Shieldaig. Unaffiliated. Digital. p.3 & 9.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8155 5523 (48m by 55m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.