MHG60472 - Dornie enclosures - Aird Peninsula, Shieldaig
Dornie enclosures and lazy beds on Aird Peninsula, Shieldaig
Type and Period (2)
- LAZY BEDS (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
The area known as the Aird Peninsula, Shieldaig was surveyed by Anne MacInnes and Terry Doe in 2013. The Aird area has been well populated and worked probably in pre clearance times around the 18th century or even before. The building type is typical of this time. The evidence of ports in every area of settlement shows use of the sea for both access and fishing.
Dornie settlement. Enclosures on the land above the harbour area with improved ground and several lazy beds. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacInnes, A.. 2018. Aird Peninsula, Shieldaig. Unaffiliated. Digital. p.5&13.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8131 5589 (107m by 179m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.