MHG60483 - Remains of bridge - Balgy township, Torridon
Remains of bridge in Balgy township, Torridon
Type and Period (1)
- BRIDGE ABUTMENT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A township comprising five roofed buildings, ten unroofed buildings and two enclosures is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet xcii). Two roofed buildings, five unroofed buildings and three enclosures are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1970).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 24 April 1996.
A walkover survey of the area west of Balgy river was undertaken by Macinnes, A. and Doe, T. in 2013.
Remains of old bridge on the River Balgy. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
Note; Marked as a footbridge on 1st Edition OS 6" (T Blackie 31/5/19)
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacInnes, A.. 2018. Ruins in the Balgy River area. Unaffiliated. Digital. p.3.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8467 5442 (21m by 13m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/104982 (Click to view HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.