MHG60559 - Building, byre and enclosure - Doire-Chlaigionn, Torridon
Ruined building, byre and enclosure at Doire-Chlaigionn, Torridon.
Type and Period (3)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BYRE? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A township comprising seven roofed, two partially roofed, three unroofed buildings and a field-system is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet xcii). Twelve unroofed buildings and a field-system are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1970).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 24 April 1996.
A walkover survey of the area around Doire-chlaigionn was undertaken by Macinnes, A. and Doe, T. in 2014.
Site 17. Ruined house with attached byre with byre drain. There are two rooms in the house. The whole building is surrounded by an enclosing wall which attaches to the crag under which the ruin lies. There is an E facing doorway and a window still evident, but no chimney. A ditch runs the length of the building to remove runoff from the crag. A few metres uphill from the ruin are the footings of a small building. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs. <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacInnes, A.. 2018. Doire-chlaigionn. Anne MacInnes. Digital. p.10 Site 17.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8253 5491 (28m by 31m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/104978 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.