MHG60561 - Building, byre and wall - Doire-Chlaigionn, Torridon
Ruined building, byre and wall at Doire-Chlaigionn, Torridon.
Type and Period (4)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BYRE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- WALL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- CRUCK HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A township comprising seven roofed, two partially roofed, three unroofed buildings and a field-system is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet xcii). Twelve unroofed buildings and a field-system are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1970).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 24 April 1996.
A walkover survey of the area around Doire-chlaigionn was undertaken by Macinnes, A. and Doe, T. in 2014.
Site 19. A substantial ruin lying under a rocky crag. It is also enclosed by a stone wall that runs up to the crag and has an opening at one end of the building and a ditch running between the ruin and the crag. In front of the house the drain containing the runoff from the adjacent well at 18 has a stone slab bridge over it and this drain continues on down slope towards the sea. There is a stone path in front of the building. The building is well made with chosen and dressed stone that is layered. It has rounded corners and no evidence of a chimney, but a door and two windows. The main building has an added dividing wall which had a doorway that has been closed up. There is a cruck slot in one wall. A later byre with drain has been attached to the building and beyond this there is a terraced area. There is a clear view over improved ground down to fishing bothies. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs. <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacInnes, A.. 2018. Doire-chlaigionn. Anne MacInnes. Digital. p.12,13,14 Site 19.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8256 5495 (17m by 16m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/104978 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.