MHG60602 - Finger Ring and Spindle Whorl - Muir of Ord
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Undated)
- None recorded
An Iron Age massive-style finger ring was found during metal detecting W of Muir of Ord. It is very worn, and the bezel is plain with faint trumpet mouldings at the junction with the hoop. Claimed as Treasure Trove (TT 14/16), allocated to Dingwall Museum. See DES for scale drawing. <1>
Information from the Treasure Trove database describes a substantial finger ring with round bezel, 24mm and zoomorphic shoulders. Indentations within bezel suggesting decoration. Hoop D shaped section, brazed onto bezel base 26.8mm x 25.7mm. Heavy, leaded bronze 14.8g. Slight damage distortion to shoulder. See attached TT report for photo. <2> <3>
The finger ring is listed under Acc. No DINMT 7852 in the Dingwall Museum catalogue. <4>
A small bi-conical lead spindle whorl with line and dot decoration was discovered metal detecting. It had a small inner seam and opposing hole from part of the casting process. It was submitted to Treasure Trove and disclaimed (TTNC 2015/009). <2>
Grid reference given is marginal. A ten figure reference for the spindle whorl and specific placename for the finger ring is held by Treasure Trove. GW 03/03/20
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Hunter, F. 2016. Urray, Muir of Ord, Metal detector find, Discovery Excav Scot, New, vol. 17. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 117. Online. pp. 117.
- <2> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. XY
- <3> Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 14/16.
- <4> Collection/Finds Collection: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Finds Collection at Dingwall Museum. DINMT 7852.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5100 5000 (60m by 60m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- FINGER RING (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- SPINDLE WHORL (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.