MHG60604 - Roman Brooch - Lonnie
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 79 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
A Romano-British enamelled headstud brooch was found during metal detecting near Lonnie. The pin and headstud are now lost but the brooch is in good condition and may well have been a deliberate offering; the findspot is close to water. Originally enamelled in two colours, but only blue now survives. L 57mm. Claimed as Treasure Trove (TT 115/15), allocated to Inverness Museum. See DES entry for scale drawing. <1>
Information from the Treasure Trove database describes a large headstud brooch with good survival of blue enamel on bow and pin head shoulders, elements of pin surviving. <2>
This brooch is listed under Acc. No. 2016.002 in the Inverness Museum catalogue. <3>
Four figure grid reference given is marginal. The full GR for the brooch is held by Treasure Trove. GW 17/07/20
- <1> SHG28238 Text/Publication/Article: Hunter, F. 2015. Petty, Lonnie, Metal detector find, Discovery Excav Scot, New, vol. 16. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 112-3. Online. pp. 112-3. XY
- <2> SHG28208 Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 115/15.
- <3> SHG25836 Collection/Catalogue: Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Inverness Museum & Art Gallery Accession registers. 2016.002.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7300 4900 (20m by 20m)|
- HEADSTUD BROOCH (Roman - 79 AD to 409 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.