MHG60607 - Rosette-headed Pin - Ospisdale
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
A broken rosette-headed copper-alloy pin was found near Ospisdale. It is a variant of a projecting ring-headed pin with the head shaped into an eight-beaded rosette with central perforation. The petals are rounded on the front surface, with the dividing lines carried across the flat rear surface by incised lines. The shank is broken just below the bend into the head. Head diameter 20mm, shank diameter 3mm.
Claimed as Treasure Trove (TT 79/13), allocated to Dornoch History Links. See DES entry for photo. <1>
See attached Treasure Trove Artefact report (TT 79/13). <2>
Historylinks Acc. No. 2014_043_13. <3>
This pinhead is pictured on the Dornoch Historylinks Image Library, No. 88521. See link below. <4>
- --- Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 79/13.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Hunter, F. 2014. Creich, Ospisdale, Metal detector find, Discovery Excav Scot, New, vol. 15. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 100. Online. pp. 100.
- <2> Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 79/13. XY
- <3> Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Finds Collection at Historylinks Museum. 2014_043_13.
- <4> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Dornoch Historylinks. Dornoch Historylinks Image Library. No. 88521.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7065 8852 (20m by 20m)|
- PIN (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://www.historylinksarchive.org.uk/picture/number12174.asp (Link to online Dorcnoch Historylinks Image Library)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/351605/ospisdale (Link to online HES Canmorer record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.