MHG60614 - Harness Mount - St. Martins
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
A decorated copper alloy Iron Age harness strap mount was found during metal detecting on farmland near St Martin’s. It was originally quatrefoil but is now fragmentary, preserving a central double-boss motif and parts of two arms with enamelled decoration. The style suggests a 1st- to 2nd century AD date. Claimed as Treasure Trove: (TT 226/09) allocated to Inverness Museum. <1> <2>
See attached TT artefact report for further details. <3>
Listed under Acc. No. 2012.001. <4>
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Hunter, F. 2009. Culbokie, St Martin's, Metal Detector Find, Discovery Excav Scot, New, vol. 11. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 101. Online. pp. 101. XY
- <2> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 226/09.
- <3> Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 226/09.
- <4> Collection/Catalogue: Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Inverness Museum & Art Gallery Accession registers. 2012.001.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6400 6300 (30m by 30m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- HARNESS MOUNT (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/314377/st-martins (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.