MHG60737 - Clubhouse - Ness Road East, Fortrose and Rosemarkie Golf Course
No summary available.
Type and Period (3)
- CLUBHOUSE (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- GUARDHOUSE (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
- BUILDING (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- None recorded
The golf course was formed on the 9 September 1888. The golf clubhouse was built and opened in 1895, prior to that the club members left their clubs with the governor of the local poorhouse (NH75NW 211 and 212).
The first clubhouse stood until 1934 when it was replaced. During the First World War the club web site history page states that the building was used as a guard house for the Highland Cyclist Battalion, however it may have been used for the men of the coast battery which was built to protect the approaches to Inverness and the naval base. The clubhouse had to repaired after considerable damaged inflicted by the military use of the building.
The new club house built in 1934 was requisitioned in 1940 by the military for the Second World War. This clubhouse was replaced by a new building in 1959 paid by Miss Isa Ross and this was extended in 1977.
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 12 January 2015.
GIS spatial data created 2019 based on OS Master Map. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7400 5666 (34m by 33m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/346055/fortrose-ness-road-east-fortrose-and-rosemarkie-golf-course-clubhouse (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.