MHG60738 - Coastal Battery - Chanonry Ness
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- COASTAL BATTERY (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
- None recorded
Located by the beach on the N side of Chanonry Ness was a Coast battery supported by a searchlight battery (see MHG60739). The location of the battery is not certain but the fence on the photograph, the level platform on which it sits and the profile of the hill suggests that the location of the battery was on the current 4th tee of the golf course.
A picture of the coast battery is held in the Rowley H F S (Captain) Collection in the Imperial War Museum (Q 23060), captioned as 'Chanory Point, 15 pdr gun battery, Inverness Naval Base'.
The coast battery comprised two guns (15 pounder guns according to the photograph caption) in two sandbagged emplacements with a tower (battery observation post) and building between. It appears that a voice pipe was used to communicate from the tower and the guns.
The battery protected the approaches to Inverness harbour, Caledonian Canal and the Naval Base. The local golf clubhouse was used as the guard house for the battery (see MHG607371)
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 12 January 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7438 5621 (60m by 60m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/346054/chanonry-ness (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.